Our network

Eastman Fire Ruled Accidental | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Eastman Fire Ruled Accidental
News

A fire that destroyed two Eastman businesses Wednesday afternoon was ruled accidental.

Fire officials say the fire apparently broke out in the attic of Soo's Fashion Shop on 3rd Street and Main Street around noon and spread to a nearby diner -- the Lunch Box Club at Roy's.  

There was a firewall between the Lunch Box and a third business, which officials say was able to help them stop it before it spread to the entire street.

A third business, Jonathan's Salon, suffered smoke and water damage. Other businesses may also have suffered some damage.

Glen Allen, spokesman for the state Insurance and Fire Commissioner, says the fire was electrical in nature.

RELATED | Eyewitness Describes the Eastman Fire

One person, who was not a firefighter, suffered a sprained ankle. Fire officials could not describe how that person was injured. No one else was hurt, they say.

Velisa Williams worked as a waitress at the Lunch Box and says everyone was able to escape safely, but is now concerned about how the loss of the buildings will affect Eastman.

"People count on them," she said about downtown businesses. "We all support each other, and this is awful for all of us."

You can follow 13WMAZ's Tom George on Twitter @thetomgeorge or like him on Facebook at facebook.com/tomgeorgewmaz

Related Photos

News

Top Bleckley-Dodge-Pulaski Stories

Bleckley-Dodge-Pulaski Deals

Bleckley-Dodge-Pulaski Businesses

Upcoming Events near Bleckley-Dodge-Pulaski

Community Sponsors

The Place Where Haircuts Are Just The Beginning of Great Service!
Independent Associate Cynthia L Cummings