Our network

Hawkinsville Marine Says He Will Walk Again | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Hawkinsville Marine Says He Will Walk Again

A Hawkinsville Marine says he will walk again, despite losing portions of both legs.

CPL Tony Mullis was injured April 6th in Afghanistan and is now recovering at the Bethesda Naval Hospital in Maryland.

His wife, Jeanie and their one-month-old son Cason, came home to Hawkinsville for a short visit.

Thursday, 13WMAZ went to Jeanie's mother's home in Hawkinsville to speak with Jeanie and Tony through skype technology.

From the computer screen, Tony said to his son, "Hey man. Hey buddy."

Cason was born April 5th in Hawkinsville. The next day, the explosion in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan shattered his dad's legs.

As Cason and Jeanie rested in the hospital, Tony and marines form the 2nd Combat Engineering Battalion searched abandoned buildings in Afghanistan.

Tony described what happened that day. He said, "In that building, going to the doorway, looking around I saw wires."

"I looked into a window, took one step, and stepped off the path, and actually stepped on an IED, " he said.

Mullis struggled to find words to describe the feeling in his body after the explosion, saying, "It's indescribable."

He said, "When I picked up my head, I actually saw both my legs. My left leg was completely gone. My right leg, it was still connected, but how it was bent and turned, I just new it was gone."

In the moments after the explosion, he said Jeanie and Cason were the first thoughts to come to his mind. He said, "All I could think, I was hoping I could make and be able to see my son."

When he returned to the US, Tony met Cason for the first time in his hospital bed.

Tony's mother, Cozetta Quigg, is with him in Maryland now, but the 21-year-old marine says he's anxious for his wife and son to return to his side.

Through skype, he told Cason, "Hey man. Daddy loves you."

Jeanie called the past week away from Tony, the hardest part of the whole ordeal.

She said, "I know he's got the will power to get through everything and hurry up and get it over, so we can come to Hawkinsville and live a normal life, even though it's not going to be a normal life to anybody else. To us, it will be normal."

Jeanie said she will return to the hospital Saturday.

She says Tony will get two prosthesis, and will start therapy at Walter Reed Army Medical Center next week.

Tony's therapy is expected to last at least a year. Then, the couple plans to return to Hawkinsville.

The family keeps an up-to-date journal on Tony's progress on CaringBridge.org.

A fund for the family has been set-up at Sunmark Community Bank in Hawkinsville.



Bleckley-Dodge-Pulaski Businesses